“Chaos or community?”

Georgia NAACP president speaks at GS, asking listeners to organize to secure their ‘God-given’ rights

Eden Hodges, Managing Editor

Georgia Southern Alumnus and youngest NAACP State President, the Rev. James Woodall commemorated the life and legacy of Martin Luther King Jr. at the Nessmith Lane Conference Center, calling for unity and action in an uncertain and divided world.

“It’s deeper than going on social media and saying, ‘Defund the police’,” said Woodall.

For communities to see the change they want, it requires action from the community, Woodall said, calling people to organize for their right to vote, their right to affordable education and their right to receive affordable healthcare, testing and vaccinations.

“We are not fighting for our rights, because we were [already] endowed with them by our creator,” said Woodall, “No constitution would give us that. No governmental institution would give us that.”

Woodall told listeners that a change of party in the White House would not necessarily give them the change they are wanting to see, referencing the list of issues facing the country and  the community like COVID-19 and Statesboro’s 41.8% poverty rate.

“White supremacy is just as bi-partisan as racism itself,” said Woodall before repeating himself again for emphasis.

Woodall noted that students come to this university first and foremost to get a degree and get a job but incidentally, the things they learn there will shape the future of the nation.

“You’re coming here to learn how to think,” said Woodall to students, “To reimagine a new way of living, to reimagine what community could be for all people.”

“Where do we go from here?” asked Woodall, “Chaos or community?”