Best Anime’s to Watch for Newcomers

Jenna Wiley, Editor-in-Chief

I’ve recently started diving into the world of anime and I when I first started I was faced with no idea of where to start. It seems like the list of potential anime’s to watch was endless. I’ve compiled a list for you if you were like me and had no idea where to start. Happy watching!

Parasyte The Maxim

I consider this one of the more underrated anime’s. Based on a classic manga series from the 90s, Parasyte tells the story of a young man named Shinichi who wakes up to find that his right hand has been eaten and replaced with an alien parasite.

Cowboy Bebop

Cowboy Bebop is widely considered an iconic anime. Taking inspiration from western imagery and stories, Cowboy Bebop is essentially a Wild West story that is set in space and brings together a group of mismatched characters on adventures across space.

One Punch Man

One Punch Man started as web manga that became popular after it was the subject of a massively successful anime adaptation, with the property even resulting its own video game. The series follows Saitama, a man who has trained his body to such an extent that he is able to defeat enemies with one punch.

Attack On Titan

You’ve probably heard of this one. Attack on Titan is one of the most popular due to its incredible first season. The series is set in an apocalyptic future in which humanity hides behind a walled city in order to keep out the Titans, who are these giant creatures that feed on humans.

Death Note

Me and my friends are currently watching this one! (Stay away from the live action adaptation) Death Note follows Yagami Light, a high school student who discovers a Death Note at this school. This book gives Yagami the power to kill anyone whose name he writes in the book, with Yagami using his power to enact vigilante justice.

My Hero Academia

My Hero Academia is quickly becoming one of the most popular. The series is set in a world in which superpowers, or quirks as the anime refers to them, are held by around 80% of the population, which eventually leads to a hero/villain society.