Feed the Boro drops down another service plan

Davis Cobb, Correspondent

Cars form a line, pulling through the parking lot at Statesboro High School, opening their trunks once they near the front of the school. As they file by, volunteers place packages of food and drink in their trunks, sending them off with a wave and a smile.

Community service organization Feed the Boro’s latest food drop, run this past Saturday, began at 8:30 a.m., with volunteers handing out food to all who needed it well throughout the morning. Beginning as an effort to provide Statesboro citizens with a hot meal on Thanksgiving 27 years ago, Feed the Boro branched out last November to help families get through the COVID crisis, though due to the pandemic, their process has changed a bit.

At any of their now monthly morning food drops, people in need can come to Statesboro High School and receive packages of various food necessities, including milk, meats, cheese, and canned goods; portions given to each car are based on its number of occupants. According to Feed the Boro Secretary and Treasurer Mary Poe, this month’s food drop planned to focus on protein and dairy.

“We have enough food to cover out to 1000 families,” Poe said. “But because some people have larger families, or there’s more than one family to a car, they get double the portion.”

The increased frequency of the organization’s food drops have been made successful due to the assistance of the City of Statesboro, who provide aid to them through the CARES Act. With said act, Feed the Boro received funding for this event, January’s food drop, and the upcoming food drop in March. Georgia Southern University’s ROTC Battalion will also be providing volunteers for March’s food drop.

For more information about Feed the Boro, please visit their website here.