Marerro announces a full return to campus in the fall

Mitch Smith, Managing Editor for Print

President Kyle Marerro announced Georgia Southern will slowly and cautiously return to normal operations this fall and provide a normal semester for students. 

“We are currently planning for a full return to campus, which means resuming “normal” operations with in-person instruction, research, events, service and activities, and full dining and housing operations,” wrote Marrero in an email sent out to students, faculty and staff of the university. 

The summer 2021 semester will mirror the current spring semester with some lab and studio delivery options for our students along with opportunities to engage with communities on campus. 

As COVID-19 numbers around the region, state and country are on a downward trend, Marerro asked, “What does that mean for Georgia Southern?”

Marrero still asks students, staff and faculty to, “Do Right” and follow the university’s protocols when it comes to dealing with COVID-19.

I don’t think any of us could have predicted how much we were challenged and how much we have grown over the last twelve months,” said Marrero.

Along the way the university will continue to assess the trends in COVID-19 numbers and provide regular updates on operations, vaccine availability and public health issues.