Are you wearing a mask at the gym?

Davis Cobb, Correspondent

In accordance with the guidelines set by the university, Georgia Southern’s Recreational Activity Center is enforcing the wearing of masks for all of its attendants. While this is to help stop the spread of COVID-19, some students are unwilling to put up with it while they work out and beginning to move to other gyms

“There’s a lot of rules and regulations in the RAC, and it was just kinda overly crowded,” said senior Misty McDaniel. “I just enjoy a different gym.” 

“The mask thing was the main thing for me.” Reported Senior Colin Decker. “It’s just uncomfortable, and I don’t prefer to wear it personally.”

Instead of making use of the on-campus facility, students of GSU are choosing to exercise at other gyms around Statesboro, some of which have no mask policies.

“We did see an uptick in college students, because a lot of people didn’t like the policies that the RAC had in effect, whether it’s enforcing the masks or limiting equipment and things of that nature.” FIT Statesboro Manager Jason Wolfe stated.

“We want to make sure that [our customers] have a place to come in and be themselves, work on themselves, and be happy and de-stress–whatever their goals may be,” Kevin Felton, the Co-Owner of 180 Fitness, said. “We just provide exceptional customer service that I’m sure they can’t get at any other gym; that’s why they choose to come to 180 Fitness.”

When asked about their policies, the RAC reported, “Our mask policy is fairly standard throughout the facility and all of our programs.” 

“Social distancing is being enforced by limiting our space capacities by roughly 50% in our closed spaces.”

“Masks must be worn at all times in the building aside from anyone actively swimming in a pool.  In open areas, such as our weight room/cardio area, we have limited the amount of equipment that is available daily to ensure that no machines are being used within 6 feet of each other. Activity courts, such as basketball and volleyball, have been limited to 2 persons per half-court since maintaining 6 feet of space is more difficult when the activity naturally has a lot of movement. We have had to enforce capacities in the weight room and cardio deck to prevent them from becoming flooded with individuals. Our various staff members also monitor each area throughout the facility to enforce the policies that we have implemented.”