Denim Day and its campaign to raise awareness

Fernanda Camacho Hauser, Correspondent

One of the events that shows up in today’s event calendar is “Denim Day” without an actual location or time for those who would be curious to attend.

The day is not about the material and instead about what the clothing article meant in an Italian Supreme Court case where a young woman’s choice to wear tight fitting jeans meant the over turning of her attackers rape conviction. 

As a reaction and in solidarity the women in Italian parliament arrived at their work day in jeans to symbolize that they stood with the young woman against the overturned ruling.

This was turned into a yearly campaign by the organization Peace Over Violence to not just raise awareness of the issue but to work to spread the message that “There is no excuse and never an invitation to rape”. 

This year the Counseling Center’s Sexual Assault Response Team set up a table at the Russell Union Rotunda where they, as Lauren O. Patterson the Associate Director/Clinical Services Director, explained, “[…] promoted Denim Day to engage students, faculty, staff, and community members to take a stand against sexual violence and demonstrate support to survivors. We are grateful to everyone who participated by wearing denim today!”