NAACP reschedules ethnicity discussions following Hurricane Michael

Shiann Sivell

The National Association for the Advancement of Colored People has rescheduled its two discussions, “Are You Black Enough?” and “Hood Politics,” following Hurricane Michael.

“Hood Politics” will be held Wednesday, Oct. 24, from 7 p.m. to 8 p.m. in the Interdisciplinary Academic Building Room 1020. The date for “Are You Black Enough?” is still pending.

“Are You Black Enough?” will be held by the African Student Association and the Caribbean Student Association. 

The discussion will seek to educate students about the ways black people of different ethnicities are similar and will focus primarily on three ethnicities: African-Americans, Caribbeans and Africans.

“We’re going to talk about the long list of similarities that we all have as a black people, and we’re going to use those to show common ground of how we are all just the same but we have our different ethnic background,” Ashton Johnson, president of NAACP at Georgia Southern University, said.

“Hood Politics” will be a four-person panel answering questions and providing information to African-Americans and other minority students about political involvement.

“The panel is mainly going to be a discussion toward minority students, mainly black students, about the importance of voting, political involvement and the different offices and what they do,” Johnson said.

Guest speakers for the panel include:

• Pearl Brown, president of the Bulloch County NAACP
  • Jonathan McCollar, mayor of Statesboro
  • Francys Johnson, attorney and former NAACP president
  • Jarvis Steele, current SGA president

Shiann Sivell, The George-Anne Enterprise Reporter, gaspecial@georgiasouthern.edu