Selflessly serve and unify in Christ with the Catholic Eagles

Mckenzie Kerrigan, Managing Editor

Catholic Eagles is a club centered on friendship building, community engagement and Christ. Saint Matthews was established in 1944, but quickly outgrew its location and moved closer to the campus, right where it is today. 

Students have always been encouraged to join this ministry, so much so they became officially branded with Georiga Southern in 2016. We talked to Abigail Best, a student leader with the Catholic Eagles, about what makes this club so special. 

Their mission

Abigail says the mission of the Catholic Eagles is to, “Selflessly serve and unify communities centered in Jesus Christ for the purpose of making him known to the students of Georgia Southern University, which we do mostly through the Eucharist and of course, mass adoration and bible studies.” 

For those wanting to step into Christ

Georgia Southern is a diverse place where there are hundreds of ways to do something or get involved. Abigail says, “If there is some tug on your heart, that’s exactly why you should go, if there’s any interest it’s always worth a try.” 

She says there is no wrong way to approach trying out new things, like this organization. The worst that can happen is you’ll leave with good friends, which is one of the main things these Eagles emphasize; authentic friendship. 

Where to catch the Catholic Eagles in flight

Every day you can catch the Eagles at bible study, which is led by different student leaders. With plenty to offer, you can always find one to join by contacting the Catholic Eagles on Instagram @catholiceagles or by emailing ccm@gmail.com. Find more information at their website linked here.

They also offer larger group events, such as a “Mass on the Grass” at Sweetheart Circle on Tuesdays at 12:30 p.m. For those interested in adoration, stop by St. Matthews on Gentilly Road, or John Paul Avenue every Wednesday at 8 p.m.

The Catholic Eagles’ last big “flight” of the year will be April 29th, 7 p.m. at St. Matthews, for their end-of-year party. “No matter who they are, what they were created for or their label, they are welcome,” Best proclaimed.