Georgia Southern theatre department to perform Shakespeare’s “Measure for Measure”

Tori Collins and Brendan Ward

The Georgia Southern University Theatre Department’s production of the William Shakespeare play “Measure for Measure” opens Wednesday night.

“Measure for Measure” follows Angelo, a man who has been appointed to govern Vienna in the Duke’s absence. Angelo quickly cleans up Vienna, until he meets the Isabella, the sister of a man sentenced to death under Angelo’s new laws. Isabella comes to Angelo to beg for her brother’s life. Angelo makes a deal with Isabella, if she sleeps with him he will let her brother go.

“Measure to Measure” explores the hypocrisy of sexual politics. The play emphasizes sexual and moral politics in relation to modern America according to a press release. 

Lisa Abbott, director of the play and associate professor of theatre at GS talked about the relevance of “Measure for Measure”.

“Measure for Measure explores the ideas of sexual politics, how power over someone can be seen as a protection from laws, and how litigating morality creates its own problems,” Abbott said. “It is a great piece to use as a jumping point for discussions about sexual harassment and the need for reasoned application of laws. I think that students will be amazed at how current this play is.”

Jane Hayes, senior English and theatre double major, is playing the role of Isabella. Hayes said that this is her largest role yet at GS. 

“Compared with other roles I’ve had at Southern, this role has definitely been the most challenging; not only do I have one of the largest line load, though there are other actors with more, but it’s written by Shakespeare,” Hayes said. “I believe my experience with this production is equal to my other experiences.” 

Hayes wants to encourage students, faculty and the general public to not be scared to see a Shakespearian production and witness the hardwork of GS’s theatre department. 

“I’m most excited to finally have an audience in front of us,” Hayes said. “The cast has worked since January on Measure for Measure, and to see how an audience responds to our hard work will be really gratifying.”

“Measure for Measure” runs from April 4 to April 11. Every performance is at 7:30 p.m., except for Sunday, which is at 2 p.m. There is no performance on Monday, April 9.

Tickets are $6 for students and $12 for faculty, staff and the community and can be bought before each showing. The box office opens at 6 p.m. or online at the Center for Art and Theatre website.

Tori Collins, The George-Anne Daily Reporter, gadigital@georgiasouthern.edu

Brendan Ward, The George-Anne Daily Managing Editor, gadigital@georgiasouthern.edu