Ethen Bodruk holding his personal favorite duck “Opal”.
Oh Shucky Ducky
May 1, 2024
Community Shred Day
AI Usage in Students

Say Goodbye to Your Gus Mart Cashiers

During the Fall 2023 semester students will see a change in Russell Union’s Gus Mart, switching from cashiers to an amazon walkout. “It’s more convenient. A process that normally takes two minutes [now] only takes you 30 seconds,” said Michael Murphy, the Director of Campus Services.

The way it works is pretty simple. You tap a credit or debit card, or use a payment method on your phone such as an Eagle ID, to get into Gus Mart. From there you’re followed by cameras around the store that track what items you pick up and put down.

There are a few weighted scales to tell what’s been taken off the shelves but for the most part, the cameras do the work. Once you leave the store, you are automatically charged for everything you left with. “It’s hundreds of cameras being used, a lot of technology,” Greg Crawford, Director of Dining Services said.

“The only downside I can think of would be keeping up with the volume in the store,” said Mark Braswell, the Director of Retail Dining. He made it clear that keeping up with the supply is something the students working the store will have to deal with. “But that’s with every convenience store,” Crawford added.

Braswell made the point that student workers would stick to the other duties around the store, such as restocking. They would get paid the same, working the register is just one less thing they have to do.

Of course, it is also more expensive than just using cashiers but it’s worth the cost, according to Murphy. He also made it clear that the cost won’t trickle down to the consumer or affect the students who work in Gus Mart.

The trio was in agreement during their interviews, this innovative change will make shopping trips more convenient for students. They hope that an advanced Gus Mart is an idea other schools can benefit from but for now it’s something GSU students will have to see for themselves. “We’re all about enhancing the experience for Georgia Southern students,” Murphy stated.