Flu Season Ahead: Debunking Myths and Sharing Tips

Getty Images
warning sign concept

As Flu season approaches many people are preparing by making sure they receive the Flu vaccination, while others are hesitant to get the vaccine due to many different reasons. Here are a few facts and tips to help educate you on the benefits of the vaccine. 

Why it matters: We spoke with Sean Bear, the Public Health Administrator at Georgia Southern’s Health Services, who gave advice to help counter myths about the vaccine and help to educate students on the vaccine. 

• One common misconception is that the flu vaccine gives you the flu. Bear stated “ I am happy to say that the flu vaccine cannot give you the flu. The vaccine contains an inactivated virus, which means that the virus is no longer infectious.” 
  • In simple terms instead of “giving you the flu” the vaccine helps your immune system to build antibodies, that way if you are exposed to the virus the antibodies fight off the virus to keep you from getting sick or reduce the severity of the illness if you do get sick. 

Benefits: There are many different benefits to getting a Flu shot:

• Benefits vary by person but for the majority the greatest benefit is just not getting sick. 
  • Bear said, “If you do get the flu after you are vaccinated, which can happen for some people as everyone’s immune systems are different, vaccination can help to reduce the severity of your symptoms.” 
  • There are some people who are more vulnerable to severe flu illness. “For these individuals, flu vaccination can reduce the risk of hospitalization and reduce the risk of severe outcomes like death.” Bear stated. 

What’s next: With flu season normally starting in December/ January the best time to get the vaccine would be now.

• It generally takes about 2 weeks after you receive the vaccine for your body to build up sufficient immunity to fight off the virus,” said Bear. 
  • Peak flu season is normally December- February. Even if you don’t get your vaccine in October, Bear says “You should still get the vaccine.” 
  • Lastly it is important to know that the influenza virus changes from year to year meaning the vaccine changes as well in order to match the flu virus that is going around. 

I also want to stress that getting vaccinated does more than protect yourself. It aids in protecting the people around you, including those individuals who might need the extra support like babies, young children, older adults, and people with chronic health conditions.” said Bear. 

Resources: For those interested in receiving their Flu shot here are a few resources that you can use on and off campus: 

GS Health services: Statesboro Campus, No appointment needed, open  Monday through Friday, 9:00AM-11:30AM and 1:00PM-4:00PM.

GS Flu clinic: Wednesday, October 18th, 1-4 p.m. No appointment necessary. Please bring a front-and-back copy of your insurance card or $25 (cash or check). These clinics are open to all Georgia Southern students, faculty, and staff. Location: Statesboro Health Clinic (984 Plant Drive)

Walmart Supermarket/ Neighborhood Market: Available through appointments/Walk-ins 

CVS/Walgreens: Available through appointments/Walk-ins