President’s Diversity Advisory Council to conduct study of all three GS campuses

• Maxine Bryant,Ph.D., will serve as the associate provost for faculty diversity and inclusion and chief diversity officer for GS. Photo courtesy of www.armstrong.edu. 

Tori Collins

The President’s Diversity Advisory Council will conduct a SWOT assessment on each of Georgia Southern University’s consolidated campuses.

The assessment will test the strengths, weaknesses, opportunity and threats that are on each GS campus and will also conduct a Strategic Plan.

The two assessments will help the council decide and prioritize on which plans they would start first to improve all three campuses of GS.

“The overall purpose is to assist in creating and maintaining a diverse and inclusive environment on all three GSU campuses,” Maxine Bryant, Associate Provost for Faculty Diversity and Inclusion and Chief Diversity Officer, said.

The council held have their first meeting on Tuesday, Feb. 6 on the GS Statesboro campus with Bryant providing leadership and guidance to the council.

How can students can get involved

The council seeks out people from diverse backgrounds from all GS campuses. The Council seeks people of different genders, race, cultures as well as professors.

SGA President Dylan John and SGA member Nipuna Ambanpola currently serve on the council. Their role is to help with drafting work and communities.

Bryant said, “It is my hope that the Council will serve to promote diversity through not only ensuring cross-cultural representation in terms of the visibility of marginalized groups, but more importantly ensuring that all persons feel valued and heard.”