Georgia Southern addresses Student Government diversity resolution

•  Maxine Bryant,Ph.D., will serve as the associate provost for faculty diversity and inclusion and chief diversity officer for GS. Photo courtesy of www.armstrong.edu. 

Shiann Sivell

Georgia Southern University will establish a Presidential Diversity Advisory Council and more student programs in response to SGA Executive Vice President Valencia Warren’s resolution submitted last semester.

The Georgia Southern Faculty Senate finalized the resolution brought up by Warren in November 2017 to address the disparity of minority students.

The resolution, Warren said, is meant to level the playing field, present resources and opportunities of diversity on all spectrums and the next steps to conquer these issues are already in place.

Presidential Diversity Advisory Council

The call for GS to assemble a special task force and to institute a chief diversity officer was derived from the fourth request of Warren’s resolution.

A Presidential Diversity Advisory Council comprised of faculty, staff and SGA students is being initialized, Warren said.

The new council will look at diversity issues, addressing concerns during meetings and bringing those concerns directly to President Jaimie Hebert.

Armstrong Campus criminal justice lecturer Maxine Bryant, Ph.D., will serve as associate provost for faculty diversity and inclusion and chief diversity officer for GS.

Warren said Bryant is working to meet with the GS Human Resource Office to discuss the faculty recruitment of diverse staff as well as training initiatives.

More student programs

Warren said The Office of Multicultural Affairs Director Takeshia Brown is working toward creating more programs to address student concerns and needs.

The SGA is planning a sit-down meeting with Bryant and organization leaders housed under the OMA to clarify any misconceptions and answer questions, following a forum with the student body.

Following a Faculty Senate retreat at the end of January, Warren will bring forth new legislation to institute a diversity advisor for the SGA.

Warren said she understands that people want immediate results but implores them to be patient and understanding of the time process.

Warren said, “The foundation has been laid and the school is working hard to create the best possible outcome for all students on the campus as soon as possible.”