GS PD offers advice for theft prevention

• Photo by George Andersen

George Andersen

The Georgia Southern University Public Safety is currently in the process of investigating multiple thefts on campus and offers ways to prevent thefts from occurring.

Laptops, cell phones, iPads, books and book bags are just some of the items that have been reported stolen according to GS PD Facebook page.

Most thefts at the RAC occur due to people leaving valuables in insecure areas, said GS Police Chief Laura McCullough in an email.

There has been increase in thefts with 26 reported in 2017 compared to 19 in 2016, McCullough said.

America Minc, campus recreation and intramural director, said that the thefts occurring on campus could and should be avoided.

“This is a behavior issue in terms of the patron, not the people who are stealing,” Minc said, “You wouldn’t go to Walmart and leave a cell phone in a cart unattended, why would you do it here?”

Avoiding theft

Terry Briley, GS PD captain, recently sent out an email regarding the thefts and including a list of ways to avoid theft.

“NEVER leave your items unattended for even the shortest amount of time. Even if you think you are close enough to keep an eye on them,” Briley said in an email.

Briley also provides the following tips:

• While in class, the library, or the lab, always keeps personal belongings in view.

• When using restrooms, do not leave your valuables unattended.

• Try not to bring valuables with you or minimize the amount of valuables you carry.

Students should report cases of theft to the campus police at 912-478-5234