Planetarium showing eclipse presentation with solar eclipse glasses for sale

Brett Daniel

The Georgia Southern Planetarium will host a solar and lunar eclipse show this Friday, where students can exchange $1 for a pair of solar eclipse glasses.

The presentation, entitled Totality, will teach students about the importance of solar and lunar eclipses, what happens when they occur and how to be safe when they do.

The show comes just three days before the highly anticipated Great American Solar Eclipse on August 21, which will be visible across the entire mainland United States, the first total solar eclipse to do so since 1918.

Dillon Marcy, planetarium coordinator, said the 6 p.m. show is sold out, however, students still have four other opportunities to see the show at 7 p.m., 8 p.m., 9 p.m. and 10 p.m.

Marcy added that depending on how many tickets are sold, the Planetarium may add more shows before 6 p.m.

Students can reserve tickets by emailing their full name, desired number of tickets and show time they wish to attend to Planetarium@GeorgiaSouthern.edu. The email must have “Tickets” in the subject line.

Tickets will be available for pickup at 5:30 p.m. in the planetarium lobby on Friday, August 18, and will be forfeited if not picked up at least five minutes before show time. Seating is general admission, and the Planetarium recommends that students arrive early if they want to be seated next to their friends.