Georgia Southern announces new leaders for consolidated university

Ian Leonard

On Thursday, Aug. 17 Georgia Southern announced, contingent on University System of Georgia (USG) approval, the appointment of 11 new academic and administrative leaders to serve in the newly consolidated administration starting Jan. 1, 2018.

After the consolidation was announced by USG in January of 2017, a timeline was laid out, that included the planned consolidation of both universities’ administrations by January of the following year, 2018.

The announced appointments include the deans for each college in the new academic structure proposed by the Consolidation Implementation Committee (CIC), as well as the Vice President for Armstrong and Liberty Campus Operations, as well as the Chief of Staff for the Office of the President.

“This carefully selected group of individuals will help lead the new consolidated University, representing the interests of all its campuses, students, faculty and staff with a unified mission focused on the success of the students,” said Georgia Southern University President Jaimie L. Hebert, Ph.D. in a press release sent out by GS.

Here are the newly appointed academic and administrative leaders according to the GS press release:

Christopher Curtis, Ph.D. will serve as the Vice President for Armstrong and Liberty Campus Operations.

Amy Heaston, Ed.D. will serve as Chief of Staff in the Office of the President.

Allen Amason, Ph.D. – Dean of the College of Business

Mohammed S. Davoud, Ph.D., P.E. – Dean of the Allen E. Paulson College of Engineering and Computing

Greg Evans, Ph.D., M.P.H. – Dean of the Jiann-Ping Hsu College of Public Health

Delana Gajdosik-Nivens, Ph.D. – Dean of the College of Science and Mathematics

Patrice Buckner Jackson, Ed.D. – Associate Vice President for Student Affairs and Dean of Students

Barry Joyner, Ph.D. – Dean of the Don and Cindy Waters College of Health Professions

Thomas R. Koballa, Jr., Ph.D. – Dean of the College of Education

John Kraft, Ph.D. – Interim Dean of the College of Behavioral and Social Sciences* 

Curtis Ricker, Ph.D. – Dean of the College of Arts and Humanities

*A national search for a permanent dean of the College of Behavioral and Social Sciences will begin in the coming months.