GS students balancing their studies while looking for work

Bailey Adcock

The early months of the semester are busy months for Georgia Southern University students, hard at work with the beginning of classes, but also with a lack of money. Coming back to campus means coming back to being broke for many college students. Finding a job in a college town can be intimidating and a competitive process.

There are multiple ways for college students to earn money while earning their degree. One such way is starting your own business.

Cheyenne Zebeau, junior fashion merchandising major, uses her creativity in her online business, Let Your Beau Show, a jewelry boutique featuring her handmade pieces.

“I’ll be the first to admit it’s not easy balancing six college courses, a shop and maintaining a social life on top of all of that. It takes time, dedication and a whole lot of frustration,” Zebeau said.

Zebeau uses the online site Etsy to sell her designs and to date has made over $3,500 in revenue, but Zebeau still knows the struggle that most of us students face monetarily.

“Let’s get real, I’m a 20-year-old undergrad student scraping by on student loans and my grandmother’s credit card,” Zebeau said.

Ross Barnett, senior finance major, is an entrepreneur as well. He uses his technologically savvy mind to repair iPhones as a way to make extra money with his business Repairs by Ross.

Barnett has been repairing phones for about six years and faces many challenges in keeping up with his business.

“Throughout my experiences I’ve learned that running your own small business while in school requires a high level of organization,” Barnett said.

He says that keeping track of appointments and the latest inventory are two of his biggest issues.

“Because I am truly invested in the work I do, it makes the task of balancing school and fixing iPhones worthwhile,” Barnett said.

For anyone that may need help with finding jobs, internships or preparing for interviews, Eagle Career Services provides helpful services for any GS student.

Eagle Career Services is located in the Williams Center and provides services such as resume help, interview preparation, career exploration and four-year career plans.

Career Services accepts appointments and walk-ins throughout the week.

Statesboro Businesses Hiring

· Moe’s Southwestern Grill | 608 Brannen St

· Walker Boutique and Pharmacy | 1198 Merchant Way

· Tokyo Japanese Restaurant | 100 Brampton Ave

· Chick-fil-a (Northside Location) | 352 Northside Dr E

· Kmart | 715 Northside Dr E

· Buffalo Wild Wings | 442 Northside Dr E

· Cracker Barrel Old Country Store | 216 Henry Blvd

· KFC | 898 Buckhead Dr

· Cookout | 550 Fair Rd

· Steak ‘n Shake | 244 Henry Blvd

Interview Tips

· No matter what position the interview is for, show up dressed professionally.

· Be prepared to speak about yourself in the best light.

· Do mock interviews with friends, family and Career Services in order to get an idea of what you’re getting into.

· Know basic facts about the company before going in for your interview.

· Always arrive 5-10 minutes earlier than your interview begins.