Work study program at GS creates jobs

Taisha White

Many students come to college looking for jobs to earn extra money in order to eat have a good time with their friends or in some cases even pay tuition. However, finding a job is never easy.

In 2013, a report by the National Center for Education found that only six percent of undergraduates earn money through work study programs, while 71 percent receive financial aid from grants or loans.

The Federal Work Study program, directed by Georgia Southern University’s Financial Aid and Human Resources department, allows students to obtain an income working on or off campus, throughout the school year to help pay for educational expenses as well as other personal expenses.

89 percent of Georgia Southern University’s students are on financial aid, according to Forbes.com, and though work study statistics about GS students were unavailable, it’s likely that a good majority of students are unaware of just what the work study program offers and if they even qualify.

Students that display financial aid need, such as the Pell Grant, are able to apply for work study jobs. While not as popular as other college funding programs, a fair share of students take advantage of the work study program.

Demetrius Bynes, director of Employment Services in Human Resources, explained how students are able to find out which jobs are hiring work study students.

“Financial aid notifies us that we have five allocations. Once they notify the department that they have allocations for work study awards, the departments contact the Student Employment Center and notify us that they are ready to post those positions,” Bynes said, “We place those positions on our website so that students in the work study department can apply.”

Most jobs posted on the Job Postings Career site have students working in different offices across campus, where students will be considered assistants to those in need.

When applying for work study, no process will be the same. Time frames for students to obtain a job can vary from a week to a semester depending on a variety of things.

For many students, the work study program has allowed them to expand their horizons beyond school.

“Working here has broadened my perspective on what is going on on campus because before I just went home and went to school. I wasn’t really involved with school,” Bre’Anna Mikell, junior information technology and Dean of Students work study assistant, said, “Now being in this office, I know what activities are going on, what students deal with outside of academics and I know how to address that.”

In other cases, some students like the work study program because it caters to the needs of the student.

Center for Wildlife Education work study employee and senior English major Tybria Williams suggests the work study program for students because they put students first.

“I would definitely recommend it [the work study program] because It’s for students. They set these jobs aside for us and a lot of kids don’t know about it,” Williams said.

Williams also states that the work study program is beneficial for any student’s schedule.

“I really think work study is a good job because they work with you. They work with your hours and they really take in account what their students need,” Williams said.

For more information regarding the federal work study program or to find out if you’re qualified for work study, head to the Department of Human Resources or visit the Student Employment Center website.