From a small town to the big screen

Carlton Taylor

The Multimedia Development Center (MDC) is a multi-award winning productions service which operates through the department of Information Technology Services. The MDC provides the live stream footage projected on the video board at Paulson Stadium during home football games and commencement ceremonies, as well as the visual presentations at SOAR which make freshmen “oo” and “ah” over becoming an Eagle, according to Arthur Berger, the director of the MDC.

Berger, a Georgia Southern alumni, wants to help pave a way for students to take off and find themselves through developing productions for the Statesboro of today and the worldwide industry of tomorrow.

“[The MDC] is all about student success and academic success,” Berger said. “We want to help young people learn a mindset and learn it well…We’ve done a good job placing students after they graduate and getting them really unique opportunities that they might not have had before.”

As a nine-time nominee, three-time winner of an Emmy Award and a recipient of both the Society of Professional Journalism’s Mark of Excellence Award and the MTV College Television Awards’ Blue Ribbon Award, the MDC has been recognized for its talents nationwide, according to Berger.

Kathryn Burrell, a junior theater major and current student employee with the MDC, had the opportunity to assist in the production of a commercial that aired on ESPN and CBS last summer. The commercial was viewed by an audience of a few million, according to Burrell.

“There’s a big difference between sitting there in class and being under an academic setting and learning how they work then actually going out and learning how they work,” Burrell said. “It really helps me because I’ve got an Emmy nomination under my belt to put on my resume.”

Burrell added that with the MDC being active on-campus, students like herself are exposed to aspects of production that can assist in getting necessary hands-on experience.

The MDC has been able to prove their mission toward students and their personal and academic success by their archive of student achievement stories. Daniel Waugh, a senior journalism major, will be working in Florida this summer as an intern broadcaster for the Florida Collegiate Summer Leagues.

“I was at the right place, at the right time,” Waugh said. “I was broadcasting with ESPN 3…[The MDC] helped a lot in terms of broadcasting athletic events. It allows you opportunities that other universities might not be able to [provide].”

Berger and the MDC have been able to help people like Waugh achieve credibility and stand out above any other internship and job applicants. They can aid students who are interested in going into any type of production, from commercials to sports.

With a full-time staff of four, between 10 to 15 student employees and a large number of student volunteers, the MDC has a place for every student and is willing help you stand out amongst the rest, according to Berger.

For more information about the MDC, visit their website at its.georgiasouthern.edu/multimedia.