Rekindle your love: GSU romantic traditions

Bailey Adcock

Traditions run rampant here on the Georgia Southern campus. From Gus to Freedom’s Flight to the Watermelon Cutting, GSU students, faculty and alumni have a wide variety of activities to take part in.

As Valentine’s Day is fast approaching, romance is on everybody’s mind. Our very own campus has plenty of romantic places and activities to take advantage of.

Sweetheart Circle is one of the most popular romantic traditions here at GSU. The circle got its name from what alumni used to call “Sweetheart Campus.”

Alumni and current students alike visit Sweetheart Circle in hopes that the traditional walk around will provide them with some romantic luck in the future. The tradition states that three walks around guarantees that you and your sweetheart will be married.

“Going to Sweetheart Circle seems really romantic to me,” Megan Fromme, sophomore special education major, said.

Lake Wells and Lake Ruby, named after President Guy H. Wells and his wife Ruby, are two more iconic romantic places on campus. President Wells served as the university’s president from 1926 until 1934 and had the lakes put in during his presidency.

Not only do these two lakes have the romantic aspect, but together they also form the shape of the state of Georgia. The fountains in the lakes accurately represent Statesboro and Atlanta in relation to a map of Georgia.

There are plenty of options for things to do on a low-budget, while staying here on campus.

“My girlfriend and I have gone to feed the ducks before. It was romantic and we had a really good time,” Austin Falk, sophomore hospitality management major, said.

While the Lakeside Dining Commons is not open on Sundays, thus eliminating the possibility of a romantic dinner along the lakes, Landrum is still open. After taking your stroll along the lakes, head over to Landrum for a cute, cafeteria-style dinner. For an extra kick of romance, grab some battery-powered candles and a rose or two to spruce up the tables.

If you want to avoid the dining hall all together, fix up a nice and cheap picnic and take your special someone over to Sweetheart Circle. Make sure you grab a nice, comfy blanket and some shades, though, because Sunday is expected to be cool and sunny.

For those looking to be a bit more adventurous, a couple’s trip to the RAC might be right choice.

“Rock climbing, the sauna, spotting each other at the weights, and racquetball… there are a lot of couple’s things to do at the RAC,” Wallace Avin, sophomore psychology major, said.

If you are in need of some last minute gifts, the University Store is open until 6 p.m. Monday-Thursday and 5 p.m. on Friday and Saturday.

Let the romance run rampant this Valentine’s Day and keep your GSU pride in mind.

Photo Courtesy of Madison Reynolds.