Scheduling Tips: How to Make the Most Out of Your Semester

Jenna Wiley

College can be a very stressful time and having to figure out what classes work best for you can be a huge part of that. We want to help. Here are some insider tips on how to make the most out of a day at Georgia Southern.

1. Listen to your advisor!

Your academic advisor is there for you. They will know what is best for you and what the best courses will be for you to take your freshman year. Don’t be afraid to ask for a meeting with them outside of the required ones! The academic advisors at GS are amazing at their job, and they are more than happy to help.

1. Give yourself AT LEAST 15 minutes between classes.

It takes roughly 15 minutes to get from one side of campus to the other while walking.

The buses can be a good option, but there is no telling if they’ll be at the right place at the perfect time for you.

1. Make time for breaks.

Some people prefer back-to-back classes to get them all out of the way earlier, but it is still important to squeeze some time in for little breaks here and there. Schedule some time for lunch as well so that you can run into Lakeside or Starbucks and grab something to eat to give your brain the fuel it needs! if you have an one+ hour break, the fourth floor of the library is a great place to “rest your eyes” (but you didn’t hear it from me).

1. Do your research.

The typical course load of a freshmen includes the CORE classes, such as Composition, Biology and History. This doesn’t mean you don’t have to do any research! Ratemyprofessor.com is a great website to get some insight on a professor’s teaching style to see if it would be a good match for you. Take the ratings with a grain of salt though since students tend to leave bad ones more often than good ones.

1. Register on time.

Classes fill up fast in college, that’s for sure. Always register for classes the second your registration time opens because classes fill up fast.

College means coming into a whole new world and something as small as picking classes can be a scary thing to conquer. Hopefully, this inside scoop can help you make the most out of your time at college!