Halt on hoverboards: Scooter banned for student safety

Chance Shelton

The hoverboard, a two-wheeled self-balancing scooter, was officially banned from Georgia Southern’s Campus on Jan. 6, 2016.

“Restricting hoverboards on campus is based on our primary goal of safety for all Georgia Southern community members, as, across the country, there have been several fires and injuries linked to hoverboards,” Jan Bond, Associate Vice President of the Office of Marketing and Communication, said.

Students and faculty heard about the ban through an e-mail sent out by the university before classes began in an attempt to make sure students didn’t bring them to campus. Resident halls community leaders (CLs) were the first ones to find out about the ban.

“We, [the CLs], heard about [the ban on hoverboards] first, being CLs and stuff, so it was pretty interesting, I think it’s probably smart, whether it was a safety concern or something, I think it was probably going to get out of hand.” Sierra Moore, sophomore, writing and linguistics major, said.

According to Joy Hoverboards, the number one online retailer for balancing scooters, over 145,000 balancing scooters have been sold.

In regards to the ban, the vehicles have become a part of the student code of conduct and fall specifically under the Motorcycles, Mopeds, and Scooters rules and regulations.

The Dean of Students states on the Parking and Transportation university website that hoverboards are not welcomed, and if an individual is found using one or has it in their possession, they could find themselves dealing with the conduct board for not following university policy.

Students feel the ban wasn’t necessary, but they are glad the university is trying to create a safe environment for learning and walking around campus.

“I personally think it was a smart move because they have been known to catch on fire, or at least until we know more about them,” Jason Conyers, junior nutrition major, said.

According to CNN, the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission is investigating at least 16 reports of hoverboard fires in 12 states.

This campus wide ban will stay in effect until the university decides otherwise.