Finding the Perfect At-Home Workspace

Emily Arnold is the current news editor for The George-Anne.

Kayla Winston-Bass

While many of us may or may not have expected it, we are officially switching to full-time online classes. There can be an endless debate on its benefits, drawbacks and effects on both students and faculty, but for the safety of everyone, we are at this point. Regardless of where you stand, working from home doesn’t have to be the worse thing. Creating a workspace where you are comfortable, inspired and motivated is going to be one of the best things you can do. Here are some key tips to build your perfect at-home workspace.

Location

Finding the optimum space in your home is ultimately the first step. And depending on your household size, this can vary from an actual home office to the tiniest part left in your bedroom. There is no right or wrong spot. It’s what works best for you.

Limit Distractions

Distractions are all around us, from our TVs to our phones or even our family. Your workspace should be free of any of those temptations. When you are in your work mode, try placing your phone in another room, so you aren’t tempted to grab it. This can work the same with your TV remote.

Light

Lighting is another important factor. When we are exposed to more sunlight, our cognitive function is better, according to Environmental Health, a medical journal. Try shifting your desk or space in front of an open window.

Supplies

No matter where you find your perfect setting, it should always be filled with the essentials such as your computer, paper for notes, writing utensils and a planner. Having to take a break and hunt for tools can hinder you from working efficiently.

Design

Your workspace doesn’t have to be fancy or overly dramatic. But, if you are a fan of the aesthetic, adding your favorite decor can help you stay focused and actually want to work.

Comfortable clothes

Although this doesn’t directly pertain to your workspace, it is a key factor in your success rate. Many schools or businesses require dress codes that can be uncomfortable to work in. A benefit from working from home is there isn’t a strict set of rules you have to follow. You can dress up or dress down as you please. 

Here are a few workspaces from GS students and professors who sent in their photos via Twitter using #DailyDesk.

Mary Grace Ducey (@naciemew), English major, via Twitter.

Katelyn Coggins (@kacoggins), lecturer of mathematics, via Twitter.

Professor Jennifer Furlong (@speechteach912), communications instructor, via Twitter.

No matter where you find yourself working, it is important to create that barrier from your relaxing space to your workspace. That way there is a designated area only for work, and you will be more likely to function proficiently.

Tweet us your at-home workspace with the hashtag #DailyDesk!