Shooting Sports Education Center opens to the public

Jozsef Papp

The Shooting Sports Education Center (SSEC), located on the corner of Old Register Road and Veterans Memorial Parkway, opened this fall to the general public in order to improve education and practice with firearms and archery for students and the Statesboro community.

“The educational experiences in the shooting sports we will be able to provide for our students, community and region through this facility may be the only time an individual will have the opportunity for such an experience,” Gene Sherry, executive director of Georgia Southern’s Campus Recreation and Intramurals, said in a statement. 

The center offers a variety of courses by trained and certified SSEC personnel for students and the general public. The prices of the courses vary according to the type of course and who is participating.

The center currently offers a “Safe Shooter Training Course” for both archery and firearms, “USCCA Concealed Carry Course” and “NRA Basic Pistol Class” for firearms, and “USA Archery Level 1 and 2 Instructor Certification” for archery.

In addition, the SSEC offers “Explore Archery”, an education activity program tailored for specific groups that are interested in being introduced to the sport.

However, before being allowed to participate in any activities at the SSEC, patrons need to become an “Approved User.” The fee to become an “Approved User” is $20 and requires the completion of forms at the SSEC.

Restrictions exist in regards to individual age. The archery center requires that individuals to be seven-years or older and be accompanied by an adult if under the age of 14. On the other hand, the firearm range is available for individuals 10 years or older and individuals within the age of 10 to 17 must be accompanied by an “approved user” and have a written permission from parent or guardian. 

Although patrons can take courses at the SSEC, the center is open for anyone who wishes to use the archery center or the firearms range at their own leisure. The archery center offers daily rates while the firearms range offer more expensive hourly rates.

In addition, people will be able to rent firearms and archery equipment in the facility to improve their knowledge on shooting sports and be able to use them for their courses. 

Rates vary in regards to the general public, students, seniors (60 and over), and youth under 18. Law enforcement have discounted rates at the SSEC. Annual passes are also available for purchase.