Fatal shooting at Campus Crossings results in three arrests

Macy Holloway

What Happened:

On Feb. 27 at approximately 12:30 a.m. the Statesboro Police Department responded to a shooting at Campus Crossings on Lanier Dr. Five men were involved in the incident; one deceased on site, one injured and transported to East Georgia Regional Center, while the other three were detained by SPD for questioning.

According to the SPD, the 24-year-old male killed during the shooting at the apartment complex was identified as Mikeal Hamilton of Norcross, Ga.

Of the five men involved in the incident, only one was a current Georgia Southern University student, 24-year-old Ian Lamar Rumph, who was transported to East Georgia Regional Center after sustaining injuries. He has been released according to Associate Vice President of Marketing at GSU, Jan Bond.

The three men on the scene that were detained and transported to SPD for questioning have been arrested and charged.

Steven Williams – charged with murder and aggravated assault

Joseph Miles – charged with obstruction and making false statements

Malik Rashad Freeman – charged with obstruction and making false statements

According to the Statesboro Police press release

The Eagle Alert Issue:

“An aggravated assault took place at the Campus Club Apartments near building 800 early this morning. Statesboro Police have the area secure but we are asking everyone to avoid that area. Statesboro Police are investigating the incident.”

An Eagle Alert was sent out at 1:24 a.m. on Feb. 27. with the subject head: “Aggravated Assault at Campus Club Apartments.”

Campus Club was bought by the university and has been known as Freedom’s Landing since 2012. Michael Russell, Chief of Police at Georgia Southern University, explained in an e-mail that as it was the early morning hours and a chaotic time for everyone involved, they shared the information that was readily available to them and at some point the incorrect complex name was listed.

Russell also stated that since various media outlets were already updating and correcting the information, they didn’t feel the need to issue a formal correction.

Casey Cargle and Araya Jackson contributed to this report

Editor’s note: the originial picture posted of room 808 in Campus Crossings was not the site of the incident and is not affiliated with the shooting.