To tailgate or not to tailgate

Asya Fields

Update:

Director of Fraternity and Sorority Life Francisco Lugo has cleared up some changes made to the policy previously declared. 

Corrections:

1. There will not have to be a required guest list for any event hosted by a Greek chapter, but a number of anticipated guests is a requirement.

2. Four guests per member will not be a requirement.

3. Only one bonded, licensed, professional security officer is required.

According to Lugo, Greek life is not being targeted but being held to a higher standard.

For a full version of the new event policy, you can visit http://students.georgiasouthern.edu/greeklife/files/Social-Event-Policy-10-3-2014.pdf

On Sept. 29, 2014 the Office of Fraternity and Sorority Life sent an email informing the chapter presidents of Greek organizations that there would be immediate changes to the Greek Tailgating Policy.

Policy changes will include security at every event, a required and limited guest list and no glass bottles permitted at the event. The policy changes were expected to begin being enforced the day the email was sent out and a final deadline to turn in all social forms, which includes tailgating for the Homecoming game on Wednesday, Oct. 8, 2014.

Many Greeks’ concern was the lack of student consideration and involvement, even though they were promised that before anything was finalized with the policy. At the SGA meeting many students were concerned if there will be a compromise made between what the students want and what the IFC board wants out of this policy.

“Will students in Greek alumni be invited to the table to help craft the policy,” DiArron Morrison, SGA executive assistant and president of Alpha Phi Alpha Fraternity, asked at the weekly SGA meeting where Francisco Lugo, director of Fraternity and Sorority Life, agree to allow this.

Although Lugo agreed to this, the final policy was sent out only two days later without any feedback on whether a compromise had been met or not. There was no difference between the first and second email received by Greek Chapter Presidents.

Another concern is the guidelines that Greeks need to abide by, but require financial commitments that are not attainable by all Greek organizations, specifically the smaller chapters in the National Pan-Hellenic Council and the Multicultural Greek Council.

If a chapter does not follow these rules, they will be fined $500, but any other penalties are “to the discretion of the officer,” according to the new tailgating policy. This is in addition to the cost of hiring security for the many social events that Greeks host throughout the semester and academic year.

A greater concern is the fact that Greeks feel they are being discriminated against because they are the only organizations that have been forced to abide by these conditions in the future.

“It is unfair to target Greek life only,” Colin Ritsick, Alpha Tau Omicron president said in response to administration not giving any reasons why Greeks are specifically being targeted.

With the “new” policy Greek organizations have to have all of the following:

1. There has to be security at every event.

2. There must be a guest list for every event

3. Only four guests are allowed per chapter member at events

4. No glass bottles are allowed at events