‘A Day for Southern’ breaks record again

Macy Holloway

This past Tuesday, Sept. 9, Georgia Southern University came together to kick off their 41st annual “A Day for Southern” campaign.

The campaign’s main aspiration is to raise money for GSU and its surrounding community. All proceeds go toward funding for University programs that are not financed by state dollars. A Day for Southern benefits a variety of GSU initiatives from academics and athletics to cultural programs and faculty development.

Throughout the day on Tuesday, students rallied in the Alumni Call Center and spent hours fundraising to countless GSU alumni around the United States.

Alumni, students and anyone else interested in donating can go to Georgia Southern’s main website under the search term: “A Day for Southern.” This will pull up the option to “Make a Gift” wherein you are able to chose exactly which university program you would prefer your donation to go toward.

Bar Graph:

2011: $1,403,062

2012: $1,417,799

2013: $2,111,160

2014: $2,221,424

PULL BOX:

The Student Government Association also set up tables in front of the dining halls and a few on campus buildings to raise awareness for Eagles for Eagles, a student led campaign to help fund awards for any fellow students that may be experiencing extreme financial hardship. On Tuesday, in primarily cash donations, SGA collected $113 towards the Eagles for Eagles fund from students around campus. This was the second year of the Eagles for Eagles campaign.