Remembering Former Education Professor Lorraine Gilpin

Yasmeen Waliaga

On Aug. 30, the Georgia Southern University community lost Lorraine Gilpin, a dedicated professor in the department of teaching and learning.

According to Yasar Bodur, associate professor in the department of teaching and learning, who was a colleague and close friend of hers, Dr. Gilpin had been sick and was in the hospital when she passed away.

Dr. Gilpin was an associate professor of early childhood education, and had been teaching online courses this semester.

“As an educator, she believed in the power of education and she believed that education can change something and has this transformative power,” Bodur said. “As a colleague, she was someone that you can talk to and rely on.”

Dr. Gilpin had two children and was a caring and devoted mother. She stressed community in everything she did and that was very important to her as both a teacher and a mother.

“She had this strong emphasis on community and in her life you could feel that sense of community all the time,” Bodur said. “She was an all around good person, and it is a great loss.”

Lorraine Gilpin will be remembered as an overall elegant person, a reliable colleague and friend and an influential educator that impacted many students and teachers.