The Universe lights up for GSU

Erika Richards

See the stars and what our universe has to offer at the Lichtmond: Universe of Light planetarium event, Friday at varied times at the Georgia Southern Planetarium.

Because of the limited seating, viewing times of the show are every hour on the hour, starting at 6 p.m. and ending at 10 p.m. The free admission tickets will be handed out after 5 p.m. in the lobby of the Math/Physics Building.

Sponsored by the Department of Physics, this experience of immerse worlds will take guests on a journey and leave them in awe.

The premiere of Lichtmond is an educational event for students to experience a pure entertainment musical.

Popular songs like award winning music by Alan Parsons, English audio engineer, musician and record producer, is featured in the audiovisual display.

Students who come out will enjoy an evening of music and relaxation viewing the full dome of the planetarium.

Clayton Heller, Ph. D., chairman of the department of physics and planetarium director said, “It is the end of the semester and this event is a treat and a break from classes for all the students.”

Students who love the combination of art and science will love the beauty of what the planetarium will show Friday night.

Becky Lowder, Astronomy Lab Coordinator said, “My passion in life is art and space and being able to be apart of this makes me feel like the luckiest person in the world. I love doing this and being able to share this wonderful resource (the planetarium) with the community is even better.”

Telescope viewing of Jupiter, the Moon and Mars will be available if the weather permits.

Even though everyone is welcome, it is not recommended for younger kids to come because of the amount of sitting time during the show.