UPB searches for the Biggest Fan on Campus

• Graphic by: Sarah Horne

Alexandra McCray

Georgia Southern University’s on-campus organizations will have the chance to prove that they have the most school spirit at Biggest Fan on Campus Tailgate.

The University Programming Board will host the tailgate, which will take place at Sweetheart Circle from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. on Thursday.

“What we want to accomplish with the event is just to find the organization that has the most school spirit. We have three categories; it’s a tailgate and a biggest fan collaboration,” Milton Dockins, Biggest Fan on Campus Tailgate coordinator, said.

Any on-campus organization is invited to participate in the tailgate. Organizations such as Alpha Omicron Pi, Collegiate One Hundred, Delta Tau Delta, The Minority Advisement Program and the NAACP have already signed up to participate along with three organizations who have a candidate on homecoming court, Dockins said.

“So the organizations will get to grill and serve food, because football tailgating is really big down here so they’ll get to do that. And then they’ll be able to dress up in different game day attire to show their school spirit and represent their organization and the school at the same time,” Dockins said.

Currently, 12 organizations are signed up to grill and tailgate and compete for the title of biggest fan. Participates will be judged on their overall organization appearance and how well they display school spirit, along with how well the organization showcases their favorite on campus traditions, Dockins said.

“Students can come by and participate, the participants that will be participating in the tailgate portion will have samples of whatever they’re cooking so they’ll be giving those samples out to anyone who comes past. And judges will be out there participating as well so they’ll just be mingling with the people from campus who stop by or people from the community that stop by and vice versa,” Dockins said.

“I’m down for going to anything that’s happening on campus, if it’s interesting or fun or just something to do,” Amanda Roberts, freshman business management major, said.

The Biggest Fan on Campus Tailgate will be followed by UPB’s next homecoming event, the Homecoming parade, which will take place on Nov. 8 at 4 p.m., beginning at Allen E. Paulson Stadium and ending at Sweetheart Circle.