Students unimpressed with mold and pests

• Graphic by: Carly Hayes

Lauren Gorla

Roaches, mice, mold and mildew—all things students don’t expect to find in their dorms, but many are finding these problems to be a reality.

From spring 2011 to now, Georgia Southern University Residential Facilities Department has reported 57 work order requests for mildew and 82 work requests for pest control at on-campus housing residences.

In 2011, residents filled out 21 work orders in regards to mildew in their housing.

“There is black mold growing pretty wild on our bathroom ceiling. I would like to get it checked out,” according to a work order issued from Kennedy Suites on Oct. 14, 2011.

This order was not completed until Jan. 10, 2012.

“Shower area shared between A and B walls and ceilings has mold all over it. It smells like mildew when in the shower and it looks like it’s coming from inside the light/fan ceiling. My roommate is also highly allergic to mold,” according to a work order filed from Eagle Village Building Two in 2011.

There were 36 work order requests filed in 2012, and 10 filed so far this semester, according to the work request documents.

“The bathroom for rooms A and B has mold on the shower wall as well as the shower ceiling,” according to a work order issued from Centennial Place in January 2012.

“The bathroom for C & D bedrooms has a moldy shower curtain.  Can we get a new one if it is possible?  Thank you, have a great day!” according to a work request filed from Southern Courtyard Building One in January 2012.

Mold, mildew and insects were reported from University Villas Aug. 18, 2012.

The request was not completed until Oct. 19, 2012.

“There is an excessive amount of mold located under the bathroom sink under the cupboard doors and a huge amount in the back of the face bowl oozing onto the walls and down the floors.  After cleaning the area the mold returns.  Please treat this immediately.  Thanks,” according to a work request filed from University Villas in 2012.

“I have already submitted one request and nobody showed up but we have mold in our bathroom on the A and B side and I don’t know if it is serious,” according to a work request filed from Southern Courtyard Building Three on Oct. 25, 2012.

This incident has not yet been completed.

There have been occurrences of mold in Centennial Place and maintenance simply paints over the problem, Kelsey Pierson, freshmen psychology and Spanish major and resident of Centennial Place, said.

“On my roommate’s ceiling where the vent is there was mold and she put in a work order, but they just painted over it.  They didn’t even fix the problem,” Pierson said.

In 2011, 82 work requests were filed regarding pest control in on-campus housing.

“There was a roach in my living room, then in my bed, then my bathroom, and this morning there was one in my sink.  Please help me, PLEASE,” according to a work request filed from Southern Pines Building Four.

“Insane amount of roaches,” according to a work request filed from Kennedy Apartments.

“We seem to have ants in our dorm and I’m not sure where they are coming from.  Not in the individual rooms, but the common room,” according to a request filed from Southern Courtyard.

Out of 82 requests, 25 were filed from University Villas in Jan. 27 2011- May 27 2011, according to the documents.

“We need someone to spray for roaches because they are becoming a PROBLEM!!!!!  The apartment is fairly clean and we don’t know what else to do, please help,” according to a work request filed from University Villas.

“Our entire room needs to be sprayed for roaches and spiders, especially in the kitchen,” according to a request filed from University Villas.

“We would like our apartment to be inspected for dead mice.  We had a dead mouse a few months ago and now we are smelling the same stench that we smelled when we previously had a dead mouse.  We’ve checked all traps but cannot seem to find anything.  We just want to be sure we have nothing dead in our apartment,” according to a request filed from University Villas.

“Student needs her apartment sprayed for bees.  She is allergic and she says that they are burrowing into the apartment and swarming around the front door,” according to a request filed from University Villas.

“There is something in the wall of the washer and dryer closet and it is scratching and it sounds like it’s about to get through and I am really scared!” according to a request filed from University Villas.

Bugs and pests do not appear to be a serious threat to some residents, Jenny Garcia, freshmen pre-nursing major and resident of Southern Pines, said.

“I’ve only seen like three spiders and two cockroaches.  I don’t want to live with roaches, but it happens,” Garcia said.

Residential Facilities Administrative Coordinator Adrianne McCollar could not be reached for comment by press time.

Lindsay Gaskins contributed to this article.