White Like Me to reveal perspectives on racism

Jake Hunsbusher

The minds of Georgia Southern University students are going to be poked, prodded and provoked by the seminar “White Like Me” by Tim Wise, hosted by the Multicultural Student Center.

Tim Wise, a writer and activist against racism in the U.S, will speak and initiate conversation today at 3:30 p.m. and 7 p.m. in the Russell Union Ballroom.

“It’s very interactive; it gives students the opportunity to become engaged from varied backgrounds and the chance to have meaningful dialogue about important issues of race,” Dorsey Baldwin, MSC director, said.

Wise speaks from the point of view of a privileged white male in today’s society and uses this prospective to shed light on the broader spectrum of racism in America.

“Students and faculty have greatly appreciated what he has to offer, and whether it be with their peers, professors or family the ‘White Like Me’ seminar always sparks discussion between our students and gets people talking,” Michelle Allen, Multicultural Student Center representative, said.

Tim Wise’s “White Like Me” is one of the success series seminars provided by MSC in hopes that it will provide a forum for students to discuss and broaden their views on poverty, racial profiling and status based on race.

Although the seminar has provided a chance for meaningful dialogue between students in the past, it has also been a source of controversy, Pugh said.

“Some people are really thankful for the seminar and some people just don’t like it and usually tell us so.  But that’s fine, we’re not trying to change anyone or force anything on them.” Christopher Pugh, faculty member of the MSC, said.

Wise has spoken in 48 states and over 350 college campuses.

“The reason Tim Wise has been invited back to Georgia Southern for several years is because his seminar always provides a different perspective. And though everyone may not agree, it causes them to look at things differently,” Allen said.

He has also provided training to teachers, physicians and medical industry professionals as well as corporate, government and law enforcement officials nationwide on how to combat racial iniquities not only in the work place but in everyday life.

Whether the students agree or disagree with the thoughts and ideas presented by Tim Wise, the event will incite free thought and open conversation among students.

Pugh said, “We just want them to be exposed to this material in the hopes that it will challenge them to become free-thinkers.”