Faith, Humility & Optimism

by Jamar A. Boyd, II
“May your eyes look forward and your gaze be straight before you. May the path of your foot be balanced and all your ways be sure.” – Proverbs 4:25-26
Life is a never ending journey and you never know what lies ahead. There will be trials and tribulations, joys and triumphs, pain and sorrow, the unexpected, the hope and prayed for and the undeniable and unworthy favor of God. The key in all things is to look forward.
The past few months have shown me that faith, humility and optimism are needed to go forward in life. Many times we set ourselves back when we put faith in man, allow pride to overtake us and stay stuck in tunnel vision. Nevertheless, God’s grace and mercy allows us another chance to go forward and realize our hope lies in Him.
I do not know the trial or test you’re going into, are in, or coming out of, but I do know you must look forward. The key in all tests and trials is to focus your heart and mind on the Lord and put full faith in His plan. Some of you have been going through what seems like the same test for an extended period of time and are wondering why. You ask yourself, why must this continue? Have I not done enough? Has this not lingered enough? But, maybe you haven’t asked the right question. Have you asked the Lord, how can this strengthen me? Show me what it is I need to do? How can I bless someone else, while I’m going through? The question is, have you allowed worry and selfishness to overtake you in your trial?
There are many instances in scripture of individuals who endure tests, trials and seemingly unbearable circumstances. However, it’s when they turned it over fully to the Lord, allowed humility to flow and looked ahead to the greatness that was to come when true breakthrough occurred. I’m sure many of you know the story of Job, we’ve highlighted here many times the story of the Shunammite woman and her son, the story of Shadrach, Meshach and Abednego, and the list could go on and on. The keys in all of those situations was faith, humility and optimism.
Job is one we’re all familiar with. He was faithful enough to know that God was going to bring Him through. His friends had the audacity to accuse him of doing wrong and said he must’ve brought his sickness upon himself and should repent. However, Job states in chapter 13 verses 15-18, “Though He slay me, yet will I trust Him. Even so, I will defend my own ways before Him. He also shall be my salvation, for a hypocrite could not come before Him. Listen carefully to my speech, And to my declaration with your ears. See now, I have prepared my case, I know that I shall be vindicated.” This indicates the faith and optimism Job possessed, later in the story we’re told how he prayed for his friends which displayed his humility, and in the end Job received double for His trouble.
I want you to remember, remind yourself, and never forget God is with you. It doesn’t matter what the situation is, how people have mistreated you, the lies that are being told, the mistake(s) you’ve made, God is with you. Never feel as though you’re alone and you’re too bad for Christ. Christ didn’t come for the ones who have it all together, but for sinners like you and me. I don’t know about you, but I’m glad to know I have a Father in God and a Savior in His Son Jesus Christ. Seek Him sincerely, allow Him to come into your heart, allow the Holy Spirit to guide you and strive daily to do better than before. I love you all so very much and I count knowing you as a blessing. I thank God each day for how many brothers, sisters, and friends and the more I have through Him. I love you and have a blessed weekend. 
– J.B.II
About Jamar:

Jamar A. Boyd, II – Senior sport management major, President of St. Jude Up ’til Dawn and Second Vice President NAACP. “A creative man is motivated by the desire to achieve, not by the desire to beat others.” – Ayn Rand