Georgia Southern sports management program to add new courses

• Hollis Building, home to the Waters College of Health Professions, which includes the sport management major will now hold the new classes. 

Charles Paggett

Georgia Southern University’s sports management major has added several new courses and concentrations to be implemented beginning fall 2019.

The new concentrations for students are athletic administration, marketing and revenue generation and sports development.

Emphasis on alumni involvement was a key element in the fruition of the updated curriculum as department faculty sought to boost necessary skills and career opportunities for their students in the field.

“We’re trying to stay with what the industry needs and what our students need to be competitive,” Chris Barnhill, associate professor of sports management, said. “We really reached out to our alumni and to our industry partners, and asked what do they think students need to know.”

The roll out of courses planned for the 2019 fall semester will only be available on the Statesboro campus as of now, but future expansions will look to include the Armstrong campus as well.

“We want to make sure that we do something that is very Savannah specific when we go there,” Barnhill said. “But we want to make sure that we also have the resources to do it right.”

The additions will mostly impact incoming freshmen, however, current students may also switch to the new degree plan. The department highly encourages current students to speak with their advisor about any potential changes that could delay graduation though, Barnhill said.

The new changes implemented look to further spotlight GS’ sports management program, one of the oldest in the nation.

“You don’t wait until you graduate to be apart of the industry,” Barnhill said. “You’re apart of the industry from the day you walk on campus.”

Charles Paggett, The George-Anne Candidate, gadaily@georgiasouthern.edu