Eagle men and women’s basketball week in review (Dec 6-13, 2020)

Recapping a roller coaster week for Eagles on the court

Note%3A+This+photo+was+taken+prior+to+the+COVID-19+pandemic.+

Note: This photo was taken prior to the COVID-19 pandemic.

DJ Cadden, Sports Correspondent

The men kicked off the on-court action on Thursday as they traveled to North Carolina to take on Davidson. Unfortunately, the men would be completely overwhelmed by the Wildcats in a 32-point defeat.

As the men put up just 45 points, Zack Bryant was the only Eagle to reach double digits with 16 points in his debut. The Eagles shot just 39.5% from the floor compared to the Wildcats’ 52.7%.

The women’s lone game of the week was a home contest against Coastal Georgia. The Eagle women were dominant as they breezed to a 70-point victory. The 118 points was the second-most in program history.

The women were dominant on defense, as they accumulated 20 steals for the first time since 2016. Six ladies eclipsed the double-digit mark, led by freshman Simone James’ 15-point performance.

To close out the week, the Eagle men hosted Mercer in the Battle of I-16. In a hard fought game, the Eagles would ultimately fall to Mercer on a buzzer-beating layup by Neftali Alvarez.

Zack Bryant once again impressed as he accumulated 23 points, 5 rebounds, 2 assists, 2 steals, and 1 block. Toyambi Prince put together an impressive 13 point, 9 rebound performance as well.

The Eagle men have two games scheduled for the upcoming week. The men are set to take on Carver College at Hanner Fieldhouse on Tuesday at 6 p.m. They will close out the week with a road game at Florida International on Saturday at 7 p.m.

The lone women’s game of the week, a Tuesday matchup against LaGrange, has been cancelled due to lingering COVID-19 issues within the Panther program. The women’s next schedule game is set to take place on Dec. 20.