Review: Fallout 4

Review: Fallout 4
Kylie Fields

SPOILERS AHEAD

Scroll at your own risk

Caleb Wilson, Staff Writer

[youtube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GE2BkLqMef4]
Fallout 4 is the fifth installment of the post-apocalyptic, action role playing game (RPG) developed by Bethesda Game Studios for Windows, Xbox One and Playstation 4, released Nov. 15 of last year. The game has glowing reviews from many companies and I consider it an epic continuation of a great series.

The game allows the player to take on the role of wife or husband in a loving military family with a brand-new son. Dependent on what choice the player makes, the game allows almost total control over the creation of the character, from height, weight, to incredibly minute details such as characteristics pertaining to voice. The gameplay itself is very similar to Fallout 3 and Fallout New Vegas but differs as there is a lack of cap level, nor does the game end when the player finishes the story.

The story unfolds October 23 in the year 2077, as nuclear bombs begin to fall, signaling the start of WW3 in this universe. The player and their family are saved by one of the VaultTech fallout shelters called “Vaults,” specifically Vault 111. Upon entering the vault, Falloutyou and your family are cryogenically frozen right in front of the player. The character
tries in vain to break out, but ultimately fails. The character awakens just long enough to see a group of people kill their spouse, stealing the child from their dying arms. Finally awakened, the character attempts to find their child, 210 years after initially being frozen.

The game allows the player to choose the path the character takes, aiding any faction or group of people they wish to align themselves with, as well as eliminating anyone that does not agree with the player’s wishes. Despite the carefree sandbox structure, players must be very careful with their choices. Once siding with a faction to a certain degree after several quests, a player must either stay with them till the end, or betray them and attempt to try and survive on their own.

I am a huge fan of this series to say the least. The graphics are beautiful, the conversation trees are vast, and the possibilities of the world are endless. This is a game one can easily sink over 50 hours into and still not have any end in sight. That being said, it is true to its RPG elements and can have many different types of variables and statistics depending on how deep a player wishes to delve. This one of the most enjoyable games I’ve played this year and I simply cannot recommend it enough.