Latino Heritage Month begins Thursday

James Watson, Staff Writer

lbpinfographic_update2015Armstrong’s Latino Heritage Month will begin this Thursday, Sept. 15, and run through Saturday, Oct. 15.

Events include lectures by guest speakers and Armstrong faculty, film screenings, dance lessons, and other activities showcasing Latino culture. The festivities are sponsored by the Office of Multicultural Affairs and Hispanic Outreach & Leadership (HOLA) and will coincide with National Hispanic Heritage Month.

The month long celebration begins with Fiesta Day at the Residential Plaza and will feature authentic Latin American food and music. That evening, a five-night series of film viewings focusing on Latino culture and issues, will kick off at the Ogeechee Theater.

On Sept. 21, Dr. Grant Gearhart will present, “Through Their Eyes: African American Memories and Perspectives of the Spanish Civil War,” the first lecture of several in the Brown Bag Series.

“The Brown Bag Series is a faculty lecture series that will focus on different topics through Latin America,” Assistant Director of Multicultural Affairs and HOLA Lucero Aradillas said. “They were coordinated by Dr. Ana Torres in the Spanish Department and fully supported by the College of Liberal Arts and Language, Literature, and Philosophy, in addition to our HOLA club who is helping co-sponsor one of them.”

Though listeners are encouraged to bring their own lunches, food will be provided at each lecture.

Award-winning spoken-word poet Carlos Gomez will present twice on Sept. 21.

“The five o’clock event will be a workshop on Latina empowerment, and the seven o’clock show will focus on his story and leadership,” Aradillas said.

Gomez has been featured on various programs and networks from NPR to MSNBC, as well as The United Nations Commission on the Status of Women.

On Oct. 4, The Impact of Rhetoric on Latino Civil Engagement Forum will be held in the Ogeechee Theater.

“The forum will feature Jerry Gonzalez, Executive Director of the Georgia Association of Latino Elected Officials, Dr. Amaris Guzman, HORA Academic Advisor, and Brenda Lopez, the first Latina to be elected into the Georgia House of Representatives,” Aradillas said.

The event will focus on Latino civic engagement and political rhetoric. Coinciding will be a voter registration drive hosted by Armstrong’s NAACP chapter and HOLA. Other events throughout the month include flamenco and salsa dance lessons, a cocktail celebrating Latino education and the achievements of Latino students at Armstrong, and a day trip to St. Augustine, Florida.

Events will not only take place at Armstrong’s main campus but also at the Liberty Center and off-campus locations downtown as well.

A full calendar of events can be found at armstrong. edu/students/latino