New Latina Sorority Comes To Armstrong

Alyssa Schiffman, Staff Writer

ltapic
Lambda Theta Alpha holds fundraiser selling churros outside Student Union – Oct. 26, 2016 (Daniela Rodriquez)

Greek life at Armstrong is again expanding and diversifying with the introduction of the newest potential chapter of Lambda Theta Alpha (LTA) Latin Sorority, Incorporated.

Founded in 1974 at Kean University in New Jersey, LTA was established as the first Latina Sorority in the United States, and later earned recognition as an academic sorority in 1979. With chapters in over two dozen states and territories, the sorority is represented by the pearl and is joined under the principles of “unity, love and respect.”

Recently selected as a “Bright Spot” from the White House Initiative on Educational Excellence for

Hispanics, LTA prides itself on emphasizing academic success for all members. This emphasis was one of the reasons that candidate and sophomore psychology major Dulce Isabel wanted to bring this organization onto campus.

“For many of us personally, the academic excellence aspect of this sorority stood out when choosing it,” Isabel said. “We take pride in our academic achievements that teach us the many values of education and push us to be the headstrong confident women we need to be.”

The current candidates at Armstrong have been busy in the process of establishing a chapter since January of this year. Besides holding informationals and fundraisers throughout the semester, the candidates also put heavy emphasis on philanthropic pursuits.

Last September, they successfully raised over $350 for St Jude’s Hospital, the official LTA philanthropy, in the fight to end childhood cancer.

“Not only did we raise [the money], but we also travelled to Atlanta to walk and run for the cause with other official LTA chapters from all over Georgia,” said fellow candidate and senior psychology major Daniella Rodriquez. “I feel proud to know that this organization helps support, both emotionally and financially, children who are diagnosed with cancer.”

Candidates agree that it is the empowerment and positive impact they share that makes this organization stand out.

“We think Lambda Theta Alpha will have many long-lasting impacts in our school and our community. We want to empower women and become good role models for our community and make a difference by creating cultural and political awareness,” Isabel said.

“Above all we hope to empower Latinas and the Universal woman. We need to speak up and stand up if we hope to make a difference.”

Although the sorority is traditionally Latina, any women with these values are welcome to join. For more information about the organization, visit lta.orgsync.com. To inquire about future informationals and other chapter information, email the Lambda Theta Alpha chapter of Armstrong at rrrs_southeast@lambdalady.org.