Caffeine Breakdown: Is it Worth It?

Yasmeen Waliaga, Contributor

When you enter college, you suddenly realize that sleep schedules are nonexistent. The most dreaded nights of all are those that consist of little to no sleep at all. Step aside high school stress, you’re in the big leagues now. When you find yourself having to cram for the next day’s exam or loaded with piles of work to complete by midnight, you may be left with no time to snooze at all. But how do you suddenly feel invincible and full of enough energy to push you through those late night hours when your bed is screaming your name? Although it is not healthy to consume drinks with caffeine regularly to stay awake, at times it is the only option you see. Here is a simple breakdown of caffeinated drinks to keep in mind during those desperate sleep-deprived times when choosing where to get your caffeine fix. 

Soda

Most of these popular carbonated beverages include caffeine. Certain Coca-Cola products, including Sprite and Fanta, have zero grams of caffeine so stay away from those if you are looking for quick energy. 

Energy Drinks

Energy drinks are not considered very healthy sources of caffeine because they have been linked to many side effects when abused, like rapid heartbeat, anxiety, and stomach problems. They also contain high amounts of sugars. However, they are not as dangerous if only used in moderation. Both Red Bull and Rock Star include the same amount of caffeine, but you are likely to consume more caffeine if you drink a Rock Star because it is double the size, therefore double the caffeine content. 

Coffee and Tea

If you want to go the most natural way possible, coffee and tea are your best choices. It does not make much of a difference if your beverage is hot, iced, or frozen. Tea is not as popular as a source of caffeine because it includes a much smaller amount. Maybe an herbal beverage is not the best way to get the energy you are looking for.