Being Black at a predominantly white school

Black students share their thoughts on being at a PWI

Briyanna Thompson, Correspondent

White students outnumber Black students almost 5:2 on Georgia Southern’s campus. The George-Anne spoke with a group of students about their decision to attend a predominately white institution (PWI) over a historically-black college or university, and how that affects their college experience.

In a group conversation about attending a PWI many Black students agreed that they do not feel as though they always fit in. 

“Its hard knowing you are surrounded by people that cannot relate to you nor do they sympathize with us as for the things we go through,” said Ashanti Robinson, “Especially when it comes to Black Lives Matter or police brutality against Black people.”

IMG_5756.jpeg
GS student Ashanti Robinson

Another student Brianna Brown expressed that she didn’t feel like Black culture is represented enough on campus.

“I feel like in order to find a Black club or organization you really have to do some digging but for the white community it is plastered almost everywhere,” said Brown. “When it comes to PHC sororities you can find them advertised everywhere on campus, in buildings, people wearing shirts.”

“I had to do a good amount of research in order to find out that we even had the divine nine on campus,” said Brown.

IMG_5762.jpeg
GS student Brianna Brown

The students expressed how they had heard GS was a party school prior to enrolling, but some students felt like they couldn’t join in on the fun without being over-policed.

“White students can walk home drunk and pick up other drunk people and they have no consequences,” said Brown. “We continue to get racially profiled if we do the same stuff as white students but our consequences will be more severe.” 

On the education side, the students felt like their education offered the same to them as to their white peers.

“They always let the resources that are available be known but it is up to students whether they utilize them or not,” said Brown. “But when it comes to class, it is not hard to count on one hand how many Black students are in my class,” said Brown. 

Another student said that she attended Florida A&M University last year and decided to transfer.

“Education wise, the parties were cool but there was no balance and the professors, especially the Black ones, barely cared about their jobs, and it was really dangerous at times,” said Lyric Miller.

IMG_9104.jpeg
GS student Lyric Miller

“I would like to see more professors of color,” said Brown. “I would feel a little more comfortable having someone who looks like me teaching and talking about our history.”