Early voting opens, decides if liquor stores come within city limits

Municipal elections start in Bulloch County with liquor sales on the referendum

Sample ballot taken from Bulloch County Elections website.

Eden Hodges, Editor-in-Chief

This season’s municipal elections added a possible change to liquor laws to the referendum, giving Statesboro residents the choice of having liquor stores within city limits, as early voting started Tuesday.

Bulloch County is a ‘dry county’ meaning package shops within the 689 square miles cannot sell distilled spirits or hard liquor in their stores, but all of that could change this fall.

Early voting can be done through absentee ballots that must be mailed in before October 22 and hand-delivered by November 2. Additionally Statesboro residents can cast their votes early by showing up to the Elections and Registrations Office behind the Bulloch County Annex on 113 N. Main St.

Early voting runs Monday through Friday for the rest of the month from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. This year’s early voting also includes two Saturdays on October 16 and 23 which will run from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.

Anyone with a Statesboro address can cast their vote to bring or not to bring liquor within the city limits, including the 20,000+ Georgia Southern students living in Statesboro. November 2 is the last day to vote in these elections.

To register to vote in Statesboro, all you need is a Statesboro address. You can check if you’re registered in Statesboro or change where you’re registered at online.