Midnights: Review & Ranking

Anna Beck, Managing Editor, Reflector

Midnights Mixed Reviews

Midnights is Taylor Swift’s 10th studio album, and one that has caused some discourse regarding the likeability of the album. Shortly after the album was released on October 19th, mixed reviews came in with some saying this was another album of 13 unskippable songs, and some saying they felt disappointed by the album.

I asked some Taylor Swift fans on campus what their thoughts and feelings were on Swift’s newest release, as well as ranked the songs according to my own belief.

Students Say

“I think the album is a recall to Taylor’s pop past, only a few of the songs having Evermore and Folklore vibes, which I think is a positive thing. Lavender Haze and Labyrinth were definitely my favorites.”

• Hayden, Freshman

“I refuse to listen to the album because I’m going through a breakup and know this is going to be too much to handle”

• Kenzie, Senior

“At first I will be honest and say I was unsure about the sound of the album, but after listening through a couple of songs I was in love with the album. Many of the songs take on insecurities, while some songs focus more on her past relationships and her relationship now. I found so many of her songs to hold such relatable lyrics. I’m so proud of this album and it’s been all I have listened to since Friday!”

• Meg, Sophomore 

How I Would Rank The Songs

Tracklist Order:

1. Lavender Haze                    
  2. Maroon
  3. Anti-Hero
  4. Snow On The Beach
  5. You’re On Your Own, Kid
  6. Midnight Rain
  7. Question…?
  8. Vigilante Shit
  9. Bejeweled
  10. Labyrinth
  11. Karma
  12. Sweet Nothing
  13. Mastermind

My Ranking:

1. Anti-Hero
  2. Bejeweled
  3. Karma
  4. Mastermind
  5. You’re On Your Own, Kid
  6. Midnight Rain
  7. Lavender Haze
  8. Question…?
  9. Labyrinth
  10. Snow On The Beach
  11. Vigilante Shit
  12. Sweet Nothing
  13. Maroon

3 A.M. Edition

Ironically, most of my favorite songs from Midnights were ones that were featured in the “bonus” 3 A.M. part of the album. I really wish these songs were a part of the actual album, because they deserve all of the attention and recognition.

Tracklist Order:

My Rankings:

• The Great War
  • Bigger Than The Whole Sky
  • Paris
  • High Infidelity
  • Glitch
  • Would’ve, Could’ve, Should’ve
  • Dear Reader 
  • Would’ve, Could’ve, Should’ve
  • High Infidelity
  • The Great War
  • Paris
  • Bigger Than The Whole Sky
  • Dear Reader
  • Glitch

Overall

Midnights is a decent album. There are songs that I will most likely skip, like Maroon and Glitch, but there are also songs that I cannot go without listening to, like Would’ve, Could’ve, Should’ve, Anti-Hero, and The Great War.

Let me know what you think about Midnights, what songs you loved and what songs were just okay!