Hidden Gems Clip!
Earth Day

Campus fraternities host recruitment week

By Destiny Marira, Staff Writer

September 10th marked the beginning of Armstrong’s Panhellenic recruitment for fraternities, an exciting time where fraternities begin recruiting guys to join their organizations. Recruitment lasts until Sunday, Sept. 14. Fraternities participating in recruitment week include Pi Kappa Alpha, Kappa Sigma, Sigma Alpha Epsilon and many others.

During this time, fraternities will host many fun and informational events that will give prospective members opportunities to meet active members and learn more about Greek life. As the week progresses, potential pledges will narrow their choices of which fraternity they plan to join. Likewise, fraternities will begin deciding which guys they would like to give a bid to join their chapter at the end of the week. After Bid Day, new members will learn the ins and outs of the fraternity and be initiated in the following weeks. Recruitment week is a great time for potential members to think about why they want to join a fraternity and what they hope to gain from the experience.

Thinking back on his own rush week, Dylan Herod, chapter president of Pi Kappa Alpha (Pike) said, “I personally joined Pi Kappa Alpha not only because I made great friends with over 40 great guys and [made] my transition from living in north Atlanta to Savannah one of the most enjoyable experiences in my life, but Pike has also benefitted me as a student and a young professional. Pike led me to joining and becoming a leader in many clubs at Armstrong such as the Student Government Association and College Republicans, along with giving me opportunities in the Savannah community…joining the Pi Kappa Alpha fraternity was the greatest decision I have made thus far in my life and would suggest anyone looking to have a great college experience to join Pike!”

When asked about why he wanted to join a fraternity, Logan Kelleher, a freshman, answered, “I feel like a fraternity will help me with class but also be a ton of fun. I’m pumped for this week and getting into a fraternity. Mainly just the once in a lifetime experience of being in a fraternity.”

Joining a fraternity is a great way to gain leadership skills. Many fraternities are committed to being involved on campus and in the community.  Herod commented, “Pi Kappa Alpha, Pike, has been on campus since 2007 and is the only fraternity still on campus that was at Armstrong when Greek life was active during the 70’s. Since rechartering in 2007 we have accumulated over $15,000 for miscellaneous philanthropies with The Bethesda Academy and The Old Savannah City Mission being our two main philanthropies. We have also accumulated over 10,000 hours of community service, send brothers to leadership conferences every semester, and have the highest campus involvement percentage of all Greek life at 100%.”

Recruitment is a great time for guys to learn more about fraternities on campus and join great organizations that offer great opportunities for lifetime friendships, connections and brotherhood. If you or someone you know would like to learn more about Greek life or are thinking of joining a fraternity, be sure to check them out!