Women’s History Month

In a world where women have made incredible contributions throughout history, March is designated as the special month to recognize and celebrate their accomplishments.

Every year Women’s History Month serves as a way to acknowledge the significant contributions that women have made to develop communities and cultures all across the world. 

Women’s History Month is a backdrop of the continuous movements that support women’s empowerment and gender equality.

Honoring women who have broken through glass ceilings in, traditionally, male-dominated areas are one of the main goals of this month. 

Destiny Williams, a Georgia Southern student, and woman in STEM, expresses her gratitude to the women who’ve come before her. 

“I’d probably say thank you for this opportunity. Science is really something that I love, even though it’s hard, I like the challenge of it and I thank them for paving the way for women like me,” said Williams.

Women’s History Month not only honors historical accomplishments but also issues a call to action to overcome the ongoing obstacles that women still battle.

The fight toward true gender equality is far from over as issues such as unequal representation in leadership roles and gender-based violence are remaining to be addressed. 

For Women by Women, a newly founded organization at Georgia Southern is all about creating a safe space in the workplace for goal-driven women. 

“The overall purpose for For Women by Women is basically diversity training within the workplace. We want to give our non-minority peers the tools to make space for us in the workplace and to give our minority peers the space for when we get in the workplace, how to uphold professionalism,” said Williams. 

Happy Women’s History Month to all the women and young girls.