Student Engineering Feature

A group of bright minds from the Bachelor of Science in Mechanical Engineering (BSME) program recently made waves at the state capitol with their pioneering research on an automated insulin delivery system tailored for Type 1 diabetes patients. Their innovative approach not only caught the attention of legislators but also sparked hope for revolutionizing diabetes management worldwide. “Our research project on automated insulin delivery systems for type 1 diabetes patients is structured around specific goals and objectives aimed at advancing our understanding and implementation of this innovative technology,” stated BSME student Winnie Mwangi.

Under the guidance of their mentor, Dr. Sevki Cesmeci, a team of BSME students embarked on a mission to tackle the challenges faced by individuals living with Type 1 diabetes. Recognizing the burdensome task of manually managing insulin levels, especially for children and adolescents, the team set out to develop an automated solution that could streamline this process and enhance patient quality of life.

Their research culminated in the creation of a sophisticated insulin delivery system that harnesses the power of cutting-edge technology such as artificial intelligence and continuous glucose monitoring. Mwangi also stated that the “Automated insulin delivery systems play a crucial role in enhancing the quality of life for type 1 diabetes patients. By automating insulin dosing based on real-time glucose monitoring, these systems reduce the burden of constant monitoring and manual injections.” Effectively mimicking the function of a healthy pancreas.

Armed with their groundbreaking invention, the BSME students ventured to the state capitol to showcase their work to policymakers and stakeholders. Their presentation not only impressed the audience with its technical prowess but also underscored the tangible impact it could have on millions of lives worldwide.

The BSME students’ visit to the state capitol not only highlighted the importance of interdisciplinary collaboration in addressing complex healthcare challenges but also served as a testament to the power of innovation in driving positive change. Their passion, dedication, and ingenuity have not only earned them accolades but also instilled hope for a brighter future for individuals living with Type 1 diabetes.

The BSME students’ journey from the laboratory to the state capitol stands as a testament to the transformative potential of research and innovation in healthcare. Their automated insulin delivery system represents a significant step forward in diabetes management, offering hope for improved quality of life for millions of individuals worldwide. As policymakers and stakeholders rally behind their cause, the path toward realizing this vision grows ever brighter, promising a future where technology empowers individuals to live healthier, more fulfilling lives despite the challenges they face.

Another department in the College of Engineering and Computing was represented at the capitol. Yuzheng Mei is a student in the Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering and was mentored by Dr. Rami Haddad, Professor, and Interim Department Chair. Their research focused on a solution to improve the readability of blurry license plate images.