Additional CARES Act funding available for eligible Georgia Southern students

Abby Fuller

STATESBORO — Georgia Southern students with emergency financial needs due to the impact of COVID-19 have until Wednesday, May 13, at 11:59 p.m. to submit an application for the CARES Act Emergency Fund Grant.

These grants are available to eligible GS students on a first-come, first-served basis, according to the GS CARES Act website.

“Most undergraduate students enrolled during spring 2020 with a 2019-2020 FAFSA on file with Georgia Southern as of April 23, 2020 will receive a CARES Act grant in the amount of $360,” according to the website.

Students who can provide documentation of expenses that have resulted from the disruption to campus operations because of COVID-19 may be eligible for additional funding through the CARES Act Emergency Fund Grant.

According to the website, documentation that can be used for each expense category includes:

• Housing disruption: evidence of continued payments for local lease after moving home, payments for unexpected moving expenses
  • Food: explanation of need associated with unexpected food costs
  • Technology needed to continue learning in an online environment
  • Child care disruption: evidence of payment for unexpected child care costs
  • Other: evidence of payment associated with disruption of campus operations due to coronavirus

These expenses must have been incurred after March 13, 2020.

To be eligible for any CARES Act grants, students must have a 2019-2020 FAFSA on file with GS. May 11 was the last possible date students could submit their 2019-2020 FAFSA to be eligible.

Students who want to apply for the CARES Act Emergency Fund Grant can apply here using their MyGS credentials.

Questions regarding CARES Act funding and applications can be sent to caresact@georgiasouthern.edu.

Abby Fuller, Daily Managing Editor, gaeditor@georgiasouthern.edu