Fall in love with Valentine’s Day events at the campus Chick-fil-A

Tandra Smith

The on-campus Chick-Fil-A restaurant will be doing a series of events on Friday, Feb. 12 for Valentine’s Day.

The idea for Valentine’s Day events began in February 2012, when the restaurant gave out over 500 carnations to students who visited the restaurant and who were going about their business while walking on campus.

Over the years, the events have varied from handing out candy to making heart shaped biscuits in the morning. This year, the events will be about the same.

“For breakfast, we will have heart shaped biscuits, made with specially designed cookie cutters. We will also have the Chick-Fil-A cow out in the Russell Union and random places on campus, passing around candy,” Bo Galvin, General Manager at Chick-Fil-A, said.

Galvin wanted to pass out flowers this year, but was unable to due to state regulations. Galvin enjoys having events like this, because he says there are not too many opportunities to do so.

“Our team members enjoy it. It gives [the restaurant] an opportunity to do something fun and different. If anything, it will remind at least one person to buy their significant other something for Valentine’s Day,” Galvin said.

In the future, the restaurant wants to continue to play up the event to attract even more people and be able to pass out even more candy.

However, there are some mixed feelings about Friday’s events. Some students feel it isn’t necessary.

“I think it’s a little bit of a waste because the biscuits are going to be smaller than the regular ones. I’m not really sure heart shaped breakfast food says love. But the candy is a nice idea,” Carolynn Nixon, junior political science major, said.

However, other students feels that it’s a great idea.

“I think that Chick-fil-A is awesome and they should pass out as much candy as possible. They’re thinking about us singles and showing us love,” Ami Wagne, freshman biology major, said.

Galvin encourages students to post pictures of the cow walking around campus and their heart shaped biscuits on Twitter under the hashtag, #ChickfilaGSU and on Facebook.

Photo Courtesy of Marc Galvin.