Hamptons resident hospitalized after grease fire

Alexis Hampton

STATESBORO — A 21-year-old woman was hospitalized after a fire in the Hamptons off-campus apartments.

The fire started when the resident tried to move a skillet with grease in it outside, according to the Statesboro Fire Department.

As she was moving it, some of the grease spilled onto the stove, causing the fire.

When Statesboro Fire Department arrived on the scene, the fire had been extinguished by a neighbor.

All that was left was the remaining smoke.

There were no other reported injuries.

Alexis Hampton, The George-Anne News Editor, gaeditor@georgiasouthern.edu