GSU student passes away after sustaining head injuries at Rude Rudy’s

William Price

UPDATE Aug. 29, 2:04 p.m.: GSU President Brooks Keel sent out a condolence statement to the GSU student body this afternoon regarding Gatto’s death.


“The entire Georgia Southern University family is deeply saddened by this tragic event and our thoughts and prayers are with Michael’s family and friends during this very difficult time. My heart is broken by this tragedy that we now face. I call on the Eagle Nation to rally together in support of Michael Gatto, the Gatto family and friends and each other.”

UPDATE Aug. 29, 8:21 a.m.: Jake Futch, Bulloch County coroner, confirms that Michael Gatto has passed. Futch was notified of Gatto’s passing by Memorial University Medical Center in Savannah around 4 p.m. yesterday.

His body will be transported to the crime lab in Savannah Tuesday morning for an autopsy.

UPDATE Aug. 28, 7:35 p.m.: Rude Rudy’s announced through its Facebook page that it will not be open tonight.

Grant Spencer, the suspect in the case, was not working at the time of the incident and has been terminated, according to the Facebook post.

Rude Rudy’s will not make any further comments regarding the case until the investigation is complete.

UPDATE Aug. 28, 5:57 p.m.: Corporal Justin Samples, SPD public relations officer, has confirmed that the suspect is in custody. More information will be released tomorrow.

BREAKING: Shortly after midnight on Thursday, Georgia Southern University student Michael Gatto, 18, was admitted to East Georgia Regional Medical Center after an aggravated battery at Rude Rudy’s resulting in head injuries.

Gatto was then airlifted to Memorial University Medical Center in Savannah, as confirmed by East Georgia Regional Medical Center. Gatto was non-responsive, according to the Statesboro Police Department.

Memorial University Medical Center’s public relations officer Michael Notrica and the SPD confirmed today that Gatto is currently in critical condition.

Grant James Spencer, 20, has been identified as a suspect in this case and SPD has secured a warrant for his arrest.

At this time, the case is being turned over to the Investigations Bureau, according to the SPD.

Rude Rudy’s could not be contacted before press time.