Equality for All: NAACP to host 2nd annual co-ed pageant

Alia Lewis

The Georgia Southern University chapter of the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People is hosting their second annual Mr. and Miss NAACP pageant this Sunday giving students a chance to strut their stuff.

Unlike other pageants, the Mr. and Miss NAACP pageant will be co-ed, giving both male and female students the opportunity to represent the organization to the fullest.

“[The organization] is about equality” said Kashia Knight, GSU NAACP chapter president.

“The chapter strives to represent anyone who feels they’re unheard or mistreated,” Knight said, “everyone deserves to be treated fairly despite color, sexual orientation, religion, everything.”

Knight stresses that the organization is not only about color.

“We stress diversity as much as possible; our founders were black and white,” Knight said.

Knight invites everyone to attend the pageant. She said it will be entertaining and it gives students the opportunity to see something different. “We are the first college chapter [of the NAACP] to have a co-ed pageant.”

The theme of this year’s pageant is masquerade ball, said Brandon Thompson, pageant co-coordinator and co-chair of economic empowerment.

The contestants will be judged on business attire, ballroom attire, casual attire and talent. Thompson said what differentiates this pageant from a fashion show is that the contestants show a lot of diversity.

“They show what they can do, what they can bring to the pageant,” Thompson said.

Thompson believes that a co-ed pageant is important because no one should be singled out.

“We should all support each other no matter what it is,” Thompson said, “the contestants worked very hard to put on a good show for the audience and with the school’s support it will be a success.”

Students looking to get involved with the GSU chapter of the NAACP can attend meetings every other Monday, beginning April 7 at 6:30 p.m., in room 1005 of the IT Building.

The second annual Mr. and Miss NAACP pageant will be held March 30 at 7 p.m. in the Russell Union Ballroom. Tickets are $3 in advance and $5 at the door.